Frequently Asked Questions:

Q.        What is a Housing Choice Voucher?
A.        The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) provides rental assistance to low- income families.  Once the Voucher holders finds an affordable unit the family normally pays no more than 30%-40% of their monthly adjusted income towards rent and utilities.  The Housing Assistance Payment subsidizes the balance of the rent to the landlord/owner.

Q.        How do I apply?
A.        When the “Waiting List” is open applications for rental assistance in the Town of Morristown are accepted in person, every third Thursday of each month during the hours of 10:00am to 12:00pm (Noon). The applicants can fill out the application and background report at 29 Ann St., Morristown, NJ. You should bring proof of income, birth certificates and social security cards.

Q.        How can I become a part of the Housing Choice Voucher Program?
A.        The Morristown Housing Authority determines eligibility for the program based on the total annual gross income, family size and is limited to U.S. citizens and noncitizens that have eligible immigration statusPreference is given to Morristown residents and families that work in Morristown.  During the application process, the Morristown Housing Authority will collect information on the family’s income, assets and family composition.  The housing authority must verify this information with local agencies, your employer and bank.  This information will be used to determine program eligibility and the amount of rental assistance you will receive. If the housing authority determines that your family is eligible, your name will be placed on a waiting list.  The average waiting period to receive assistance is 2 -3 years in Morristown.  Once your name is reached on the waiting list, the housing authority will contact you and issue you a housing choice voucher. 

Q.        Where can I live?
A.        Once your family has been issued a Housing Choice Voucher, you can search for a decent, safe, and sanitary unit in your community. Keep in mind that the unit must meet a Housing Quality Standard (HQS) Inspection established by HUD and the local housing authority. When you have found a suitable unit and the landlord agrees to lease the unit to your family under the housing choice program, the Morristown Housing Authority will inspect the unit to assure that it is suitable.  After the unit passes HQS and the rent has been approved the landlord and tenant will enter into a lease for an initial term of one year.  The Morristown Housing Authority and the landlord sign a Housing Assistance Payment Contract through which the rent is assisted on your behalf.  You will be responsible for the monthly payment of the difference between the contract rent and the Housing Assistance Payment to the landlord.

 Q.        Can I move and continue to receive rental assistance?
A.        Over time with changes in family size, job locations, and other reasons the Housing Choice Voucher Program is designed to allow families to move without the loss of their rental assistance.  Moves are permissible as long as the family notifies the housing authority ahead of time, terminates its existing lease in accordance with the lease provisions, and finds acceptable housing. Under the voucher program the family may choose to live anywhere in the United States.  A family that wishes to move to another jurisdiction must consult with the housing authority that currently administers its rental assistance to verify the procedures for moving. 

Q.        What is the Term of Lease and HAP Contract?
A.        After one year, the lease is renewed for a specified time period (ex. Month-to-month, six months, etc.).  You may vacate with notice after the term of the lease expires.  If you remain in the unit, you will be recertified for continued eligibility and the unit is inspected for HQS annually.  At that time the landlord may request an annual rent increase.  This request must be submitted in writing to the housing authority and to you sixty days prior to renewal.