Can I move and continue to receive rental assistance?

Over time with changes in family size, job locations, and other reasons the Housing Choice Voucher Program is designed to allow families to move without the loss of their rental assistance. Moves are permissible as long as the family notifies the housing authority ahead of time, terminates its existing lease in accordance with the lease provisions, and finds acceptable housing. Under the voucher program the family may choose to live anywhere in the United States. A family that wishes to move to another jurisdiction must consult with the housing authority that currently administers its rental assistance to verify the procedures for moving.