Where can I live with a Housing Choice Voucher?

Once your family has been issued a Housing Choice Voucher, you can search for a decent, safe, and sanitary unit in your community. Keep in mind that the unit must meet a Housing Quality Standard (HQS) Inspection established by HUD and the local housing authority. When you have found a suitable unit and the landlord agrees to lease the unit to your family under the housing choice program, the Morristown Housing Authority will inspect the unit to assure that it is suitable.  After the unit passes HQS and the rent has been approved the landlord and tenant will enter into a lease for an initial term of one year.  The Morristown Housing Authority and the landlord sign a Housing Assistance Payment Contract through which the rent is assisted on your behalf.  You will be responsible for the monthly payment of the difference between the contract rent and the Housing Assistance Payment to the landlord.